Gingivitis is a general and mild bacterial type of gum disease, also called periodontal disease, resulting in inflammation, redness, and swelling of the gingiva or the gum tissue surrounding the base of the teeth. It is essential to address gingivitis promptly as it can lead to a more severe form of gum disease called periodontitis, which may lead to tooth loss.
The most common sign of gingivitis in adults is red, puffy gums that bleed while brushing or flossing and having bad breath or sensitive teeth might also be a symptom.
Therefore, taking gingivitis seriously and seeking treatment as soon as possible is important.
Cause of Gingivitis
One of the most frequent causes of gingivitis is poor oral hygiene, which causes the formation of bacterial plaque. When food gets trapped in between the teeth, bacteria start to grow and form a biofilm, the extension of which leads to bacterial plaque formation.
The immune system’s inflammatory response to the continuous bacterial buildup surrounding the teeth causes the gums to swell and turn red.
Studies show that heredity may reflect gingivitis since gum disease frequently runs in families. According to certain research, hereditary factors may have a role in up to one-third of cases, which are also more likely to be severe.
Ways to prevent Gingivitis
If you take care of your dental health, alter your lifestyle to maintain optimal gums, and adopt natural preventative methods, you can avoid developing gum disease.
1. Maintaining a good oral health
- Brushing your teeth twice daily may be adequate for good dental hygiene. Moreover, flossing is necessary for healthy gums and teeth. It cleans the spaces between your teeth of food particles, grime, and bacteria. Before brushing, floss your teeth to ensure that the debris gets washed away.
- Daily oil pulling may help clear plaque accumulation and reduce oral bacteria levels, improving gum health and avoiding problems like cavities and bad breath.
2. Making Lifestyle Changes
- While maintaining good oral hygiene is essential, altering your lifestyle is also good. Reduce your sugar intake because it damages your teeth and gums and contributes to tooth decay by bringing in plaque-causing bacteria. So, it is better to avoid foods that are high in sugar.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco make it more difficult for your gums to recover, contributing to gum disease. Also, it weakens your immune system and becomes more challenging for your body to fight against infections.
- Take the appropriate vitamin C for healthy gums, as low vitamin C levels may increase gum disease risk. Increasing your intake of vitamin C may help you maintain healthy gums. Either eat more foods high in vitamin C or take supplements.
3. Drinking Enough Water
- Staying hydrated by drinking adequate water is an essential factor in preventing gingivitis. Water helps flush out leftover food particles and debris from the mouth after eating, which lowers the risk of bacteria. Furthermore, keeping the mouth well-moistened with water stimulates saliva production, which has antibacterial properties that protect against oral infections and reduce the risk of gingivitis.
- In addition, drinking water can also have other benefits for overall health, such as maintaining proper hydration levels, promoting healthy digestion, and improving skin complexion. Therefore, make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to maintain good oral and overall health.
4. Having a regular dental check-up
- To maintain good oral health, you must visit your dentist for a routine check-up at least once a year to ensure your teeth and gums are strong and free from dental problems. Regular dental check-ups help detect potential problems in their early stages, making them manageable and less expensive to treat.
- In addition to detecting dental problems, routine dental check-ups offer preventive care to protect against future oral health issues. Therefore, it is essential to prioritise regular dental check-ups and follow the recommended oral care practices to ensure optimal oral health.
Alpha Dental: Your Smile Partner
If you’re looking for a top-notch dental clinic and dentists in Perth, then Alpha Dental is a perfect choice. Our team of experienced professionals commits to providing quality dental care to keep your oral health healthy. We provide personalised advice on maintaining good oral hygiene and suggest appropriate dental products based on your needs.
At Alpha Dental, we are committed to assisting our patients in preventing plaque buildup as we know the significance of gum health.
We offer various services, including routine check-ups, dental cleanings, gingivitis treatment and advanced treatments like root canal therapy, dental implants, and cosmetic dentistry. We also use the latest technology and techniques to ensure your dental experience is as comfortable and pain-free as possible. Book an appointment today with Alpha Dental Clinic in Perth to receive the best possible dental care and achieve a beautiful smile that is healthy inside out.