Did you know that about 74% of adults on average have had a tooth extraction at some point in their life? Now you might think most of these tooth extractions had to do with the wisdom teeth. But the truth is there is more to that. Maintaining optimal oral health is crucial to overall well-being, and sometimes, it becomes necessary to undergo procedures like tooth extractions to ensure a healthy smile. In this blog, we are discussing the two crucial types of tooth extractions procedures – Simple and Surgical, the reasons they are performed, and their associated costs.
Simple Tooth Extraction
Simple tooth extraction is a relatively straightforward procedure performed on teeth that are visible and easily accessible. This type of extraction is commonly used for teeth that are decayed, damaged, or broken beyond repair. It is also employed for orthodontic reasons when there is crowding or misalignment that requires the removal of a tooth to create space.
The process of simple tooth extraction involves the following steps:
- Local anesthesia: Before starting the procedure, the dentist administers a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth. This ensures that the patient doesn’t experience any pain during the extraction.
- Loosening the tooth: Using specialised instruments, the dentist gently loosens the tooth from its socket. The tooth is rocked back and forth to expand the socket and separate the tooth’s ligaments from the bone.
- Extraction: Once the tooth is adequately loosened, the dentist uses forceps to grasp the tooth and carefully remove it from the socket.
- Gauze placement: After the extraction, the dentist places a piece of gauze over the extraction site and asks the patient to bite down. This helps in controlling bleeding and forming a blood clot.
- Recovery: Patients are given post-extraction instructions, including information about pain management, eating, and oral hygiene. Healing is usually swift; the patient can resume normal activities within a day or two.
Surgical Tooth Extraction
Surgical tooth extraction is a slightly more complex procedure than a simple tooth extraction. This process is typically used when a tooth cannot be easily accessed, such as impacted wisdom teeth or severely broken teeth below the gumline. Surgical extraction may also be necessary when a tooth’s root is curved or when a tooth hasn’t fully erupted.
The steps involved in surgical tooth extraction include:
- Anesthesia: Just like in simple extractions, local anesthesia is administered. Depending on the complexity of the case and patient preference, sedation might also be used to ensure comfort throughout the procedure.
- Soft tissue incision: If the tooth is impacted or not fully erupted, the dentist creates a small incision in the gum tissue to access the tooth and bone.
- Bone removal: In cases where the tooth is not easily visible, the dentist may need to remove a portion of the surrounding bone to access and extract the tooth.
- Sectioning the tooth: Sometimes, a tooth might be too large or too firmly anchored to be removed in one piece. In such cases, the tooth is divided into smaller sections for easier removal.
- Stitches and gauze: After the tooth is successfully extracted, the dentist may need to place stitches to close the incision. A gauze is also placed to control bleeding and promote clot formation.
- Recovery: Recovery from surgical extractions may take a bit longer, and patients are advised to follow the dentist’s instructions closely to ensure proper healing.
Wisdom tooth extraction is a common example of surgical tooth extraction. Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, often become impacted due to a lack of space in the mouth. Impacted wisdom teeth can lead to pain, infection and even cause damage to adjacent teeth. Surgical extraction of wisdom teeth is recommended to prevent these complications.
Reasons for Tooth Extraction
There are various reasons why tooth extractions might be necessary:
- Decay and infection: Severely decayed or infected teeth might need to be extracted to prevent the spread of infection to other teeth or the surrounding gums.
- Overcrowding: In some cases, tooth extraction might be recommended to address overcrowding issues in the mouth, especially before orthodontic treatment.
- Impacted wisdom teeth: Wisdom teeth that are impacted or causing pain and discomfort need to be surgically extracted to prevent complications.
- Preparation for orthodontics: Teeth that are hindering orthodontic treatment progress might need to be extracted to create enough space for proper alignment.
- Trauma or damage: Teeth that have been severely damaged due to trauma or injury might require extraction if they cannot be adequately restored.
Tooth Extraction Costs
One common concern when it comes to tooth extractions is the cost. The cost of a tooth extraction can vary based on factors such as the complexity of the extraction, the type of anesthesia used, and the location of the tooth. It’s recommended to consult with a dental clinic to understand the cost associated with your specific case. Thus, it’s essential to consult with your dentist beforehand to understand the expected costs and whether your dental insurance covers the procedure. At Alpha Dental Group, we offer transparent pricing and can guide you through the financial aspects of the extraction process.
Alpha Dental Group: Your Trusted Partner In Dental Procedures
When it comes to tooth extractions in Perth, Alpha Dental Group stands out as a reputable and reliable dental clinic. Specialising in a wide range of dental services, including tooth extractions, the clinic boasts a team of experienced dentists and oral surgeons who prioritise patient comfort and oral health.
If you’re in need of wisdom tooth extraction in Perth, the skilled professionals at Alpha Dental Group can perform surgical extractions with precision and care. We understand the apprehensions of dental procedures and strive to create a comfortable and stress-free environment for our patients. With state-of-the-art facilities and a commitment to using the latest dental techniques, we ensure that your tooth extraction experience is as smooth as possible. Whether you require a simple or surgical tooth extraction, seeking the expertise of a professional dentist is crucial for your oral health. Tooth extractions are standard procedures that can pave the way for a healthier smile. With the advancements in dental technology and the proficiency of dental clinics like Alpha Dental in Perth, you can confidently undergo these procedures and look forward to a brighter, healthier oral future.
To learn more about our services, including tooth extraction costs and expertise in infected tooth extraction, you can visit our official website: Alpha Dental Group. Our knowledgeable staff can provide detailed information and answer any questions regarding tooth extractions or any other dental concerns.